AfS Pet Project – Instructions and Rules
AfS Pet Project – Participation Details
Taking part in this “Pet Project” brings smiles to the world in more ways than one. Your pet’s photo is sure to make everyone smile and your $100 (fully tax deductible) donation will help Alliance for Smiles make sure that children with cleft in some of the most under-served parts of the world have a chance to smile too. This campaign will be ongoing for the entire month of what we’re calling “Pets-tember” (also known as September). It’s easy to participate:
Here are details on how to get started:
- Get started: Log on to the AfS Pet Project page from the device where you have your photo – either your computer, tablet, or smart phone. Click on the word “Upload” in the orange bar next to the word “Gallery” to begin.
- Upload your photo: On Step #5, click on the “Choose File” button to select and upload a photo from your device. File must be a .jpg or .png and no more than 10MB. Your photo can contain as many pets as you want. It can be a single pet, multiple pets, or the pets of your friends or family members. We’ve already been asked if you can enter pets who are no longer with you, your stuffed animals, and your pet rocks. Yes; any “pet” that makes you smile is welcome! It’s a $100 fully tax deductible donation per photo, and you’ll want to choose the photo that will bring people the most smiles.
- Make your donation: When your photo has successfully uploaded, you will see a pop-up on your screen. Click the Pay Now button, which will take you to the payment page, which is managed by PayPal. (If you don’t want to pay with PayPal, just click the “Pay via credit or debit card” option on the payment page.) You will receive an email alerting you that your submission is complete. Once the photo is reviewed and your donation is confirmed, your pet’s photo will be added to the “Pet Project” gallery. (*If you have trouble with the donation process, see instructions below.)
- Vote:Voting is free, easy, and open to absolutely everyone. Each day, visit the AfS Pet Project page to see the new photos, then cast up to three votes each day by hovering your cursor/mouse over the photo you want to vote for; you should see a heart in the lower right hand corner of the photo. Click on that heart and you should get a notification that your vote has been successfully counted. You don’t have to enter a photo to vote, so be sure to invite all your friends and family too. Everyone can cast up to three votes each day throughout the month of “Pets-tember”, so be sure to come back each day to see new photos and cast your daily votes!
- Share:You can also share the image of your pet (or others) via social media (use the hashtag #AfSPetProject) to encourage others to visit this page and vote as well. Again, voting is open to absolutely everyone and each person gets to cast three votes each day.
While you can upload your photos and make your donation anytime, voting will open on September 1, 2020 and close on Wednesday, September 30, 2020. The pet(s) with the most votes at the end of “Pets-tember” will be named the official AfS “Mascot of Smiles” on October 1, 2020 on a live and particularly cute, pet-filled Zoom call and on the AfS website. All donors/entrants will receive a special invitation to that “virtual” event.
*If you have trouble with the submission process, you can also participate in the contest by emailing a photo of your pet to email@example.com. Please include: your name, your pet’s name, and a brief statement about why your pet makes you smile! Then, make a $100 donation on our Donation Page and you will receive an update when your pet’s photo has been added to the website.
Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thank you again for your support and participation, and we’re wishing you an absolute abundance of smiles this Pets-tember! – The AfS Team
Did you know that the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act encourages charitable giving in 2020?**
This includes a $300 above-the-line deduction and waiving of the 60% of AGI limit on deductions, making cash contributions to qualified charities fully deductible up to 100% of the donor’s adjusted gross income. The CARES Act also suspends required minimum distributions (RMDs) from most qualified retirement plans, including IRAs.
**Please ask your tax professional how the CARES Act may impact your charitable giving plans.