To repair children's broken smiles by providing free comprehensive treatment for cleft lip and palate anomalies in under-served areas of the world.
Alliance for Smiles, Inc. (AfS) will function as an international service project with the following goals:
- To provide free reconstructive surgery and dental treatment to children with cleft lip and palate anomalies in underserved areas of the world.
- To establish comprehensive cleft treatment centers in collaboration with local professionals and inspire them to support free interdisciplinary treatment programs.
- To foster an awareness of the necessity to provide timely comprehensive care for all cleft lip and palate anomalies.
- To develop and implement programs to identify causes and support preventive measures to reduce the incidence of cleft lip and palate.
- To create international understanding and goodwill by building bridges of friendship among all people.
Alliance for Smiles organizes and sends surgical teams to sites for two week missions. A surgical team is comprised of approximately 15 medical volunteers, supported by approximately 5 non-medical volunteers. During a mission 70 to 100 under-served children receive surgery for cleft lip & palate anomalies. The AfS team works side-by-side with local medical practitioners to exchange ideas on proper medical techniques and procedures, as well as to provide follow-up care.
AfS provides care to all patients, regardless of sex, age, economic status, educational background, race, color, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or marital status.
Learn more about volunteering for a mission...
Development of Cleft Centers
Alliance for Smiles also helps to establish and maintain permanent centers to provide follow-up treatment and continuing care to children who have received surgery. The objectives and activities of the centers include dental treatment, speech therapy, parental education and psychological counseling.
Learn more about our Cleft Treatment Centers...